1911. Donegal Vindicator. Lough Derg, two doctors and Peter McGuinness.

Donegal Vindicator. 8th September 1911. LARGEST PILGRIMAGE FOR MANY YEARS. Not since the year of the Irish famine of 1846-47 has there been such a number of pilgrims to visit Lough Derg. For many years past there has been a steady increase of persons visiting this retreat, but this year the number has exceeded that of any previous year. Previous to the day of closing there were no fewer than one thousand persons on the island. The Very Rev Prior, Canon Keown, Enniskillen, speaking on the increase this year, which exceeded all others, said it afforded him much pleasure to see such large numbers visiting Lough Derg and performing its exemplary penance at a time when ‘materialism and infidelity’ were over-running so many other lands—a proof that the faith of St Patrick was still flourishing in Erin. All classes, he said, from the members of Parliament down to the humblest peasant, visited Lough Derg and underwent its austerities. It was, he said, particularly gratifying to notice the spirit of social equality that pervaded the ranks of the pilgrims—a spirit that existed nowhere else outside of Lough Derg, There was a general levelling up and down, and all met on the same footing, and at the same scanty hoard of plain bread and black tea once a day, and mingled together in the church, that was beautiful and edifying to see. He advised pilgrims to come out earlier in the season in future, to avoid the discomfort attendant on such large crowds as had been there for the past few days. He said he hoped next year to be able to improve on the voucher system for obtaining reduced railway fares.

Donegal Vindicator. 11th August 1911. Sir Arthur Chance and Dr Rutherford held a consultation yesterday morning regarding Dr O’Flynn, who was so seriously injured in a motor-bicycle accident on Monday. As a result, a further trephining operation was successfully performed, and a large clot of blood removed from the brain. The patient rallied slightly, but in the afternoon he relapsed into unconsciousness.

DEATH OF DR O’FLYNN. Dr Bernard Andrew O’Flynn, Manorhamilton, who was the victim of a motor bicycle accident on Monday, last, has succumbed to his injuries. The operation performed by Sir Arthur Chance on Tuesday gave considerable relief to the patient, who recovered partial consciousness, but he soon relapsed into a state of coma, in which he remained except for momentary rallies, until death subvened at 9 o’clock on Thursday evening. Dr Rutherford was in constant attendance until the last. The deepest sympathy is felt by all classes for his widow and young family.

Donegal Vindicator. 15th December 1911. EDUCATION IN BALLYSHANNON.

We understand that the petitions of the inhabitants of Ballyshannon in favour of the introduction of an order of Teaching Brothers has been so far successful that it is now practically certain that the Brothers De, la, Salle will be installed within the next few months, The Provincial of the Order, Brother Kiernan from Waterford, accompanied by Brother Joseph, Superior at Castlebar, visited Ballyshannon and inspected the town and district, the result being that they have decided to accept responsibility for the educational future of the town. We learn that for the present the existing buildings will suffice but in all probability it will be necessary to provide in the near future for an extension and the erection of an educational establishment on a very much extended scale.                                               ‘

Donegal Vindicator. 11th August  1911. BELLEEK FAIR. The August fair in Belleek is generally recognised by producers and purchasers as an index of the probably current prices for the real season of the cattle trade beginning in September This year owing to many circumstances, including Strikes, weather, etc., the fair was not no well attended by cross channel buyers, besides haymaking being in progress the supply was remarkably shorter than usual. The general report of the market is that demand unless for local exchanges, especially to County Leitrim, was slow. Quotations— ; Calves, £3 10s to £5 15s: year-olds, £5 to £7; two-year-olds, £10 to £12 springers, £12 to £17; sheep (wethers) 18s to 25s; bonbams, 25s each. Beef and mutton absent.

Donegal Vindicator. 11th August  1911. GALLANT RESCUE BY DR KELLY, BELLEEK. Dr Kelly, dispensary doctor, Belleek was the hero of a very plucky action the other day. It appears that a boy named Donagher, about five or six years old fell into the water above the lade near Belleek Creamery. An old man caught him but was unable to bring him ashore and ultimately he was compelled to lose his hold and the child was carried down through the salmon leap, and through the bridge into the rapid river below, where the water runs at a terrific speed. Dr. Kelly, who was in the vicinity hearing the cries, ran to the spot and plunging in, caught the boy and brought him ashore, where it was found that beyond the fright he had not suffered much. The speed of the torrent had kept him from sinking. One would require to see the place and the turmoil of the water before being able to realise the heroism of Dr Kelly in plunging in clothes and all.

Donegal Vindicator. 8th September 1911. THE INVASION OF BALLYSHANNON.

Air—‘Scot’s Wha’ Hae.’

In the month of July, 1597, Sir Conyers Clifford, Governor of Connaught, aided by O’Brien of Thomond, Burke of Clanrikarde, O’Brien, Baron of Inchiquin, O’Connor, Sligo, and others invaded Ballyshannon with an immense army of horse and foot also with a maritime force sent from Galway, and after crossing the Erne, and sailing up from the sea invested Ballyshannon, besieged the castle of the O’Donnell, and occupied the Abbey of Assaroe. After a siege of several, days they were defeated in a pitched battle, the invading force repulsed and pursued by the forces of the O’Donnell over the plain of the Moy and many slain. The following ode is supposed to be composed on the occasion and sung to the harp by Owen Row McWard, the bard of the O’Donnells.

Lord Clifford rose, O’Donnell’s foe,

Resolved to conquer Assaroe,

And march where Erne’s waters flow,

Tyrconnell to subdue.

As clouds roll onward with the wind,

With lightning flash and force combined,

He moved along, on death inclined,

To lay the hosts of Hugh.

 

From Thomond, where the Shannon.flows

O’Brien came with warrior foes,

The Burkes of Galway martial rose,

To aid Lord Clifford then.

O’Connor Sligo, rose in might.

Arranged his forces for the fight,

And helped to swell that dreadful sight

Of many warlike men.

 

Then shaking earth and piercing sky

With tramp and shout and battle cry,

They raised their martial standard high

And crossed the River Erne—

Resolved Tyrconnell to enslave,

They sent their ships across the wave

Containing many a warrior brave

And Galloglass and Kerne.

 

At shore and fosse and tower and gate

We met that martial foe elate,

And blow for blow and hate for hate

Imparted to the crew.

Until the invaders rued the day

With hostile force they came away

Resolved in ruin black to lay

The ancient town of Hugh.

 

But down they fell as falls the rain,

Upon Moy Ceitua’s ancient plain—

They’ll never come with boasts again

Tyrconnell to subdue

Lord Clifford and his chieftains fled

Ignobly with the hosts they led,

Their choicest warriors lying dead

Upon the land of Hugh.

 

Then raise the song and strike the lyre

With fingers bold and soul of fire,

And lift your voices high—yet higher

Unto the sky of blue,

With martial flame and loud acclaim

We’ll ever sing O’Donnell’s name.

A conqueror: to us he came

The valiant son of Hugh!

  1. McGENNIS.

(+) From an unpublished novel of the author’s, ’Red Hugh O’Donnell last Prince of Tyrconell.

(+) In crossing the river O’Brien, Baron of Inchiquin was drowned. Peter Magennis (1817 – 1910)

Peter Magennis was born in County Fermanagh and became a National School teacher. The Ribbon Informer, 1874, was among his most successful novels, and he also wrote poetry. He was known as the bard of Knockmore. Born:            1817 Died: 1910.

Seamas McAnaidh writes – Eoghan Rua Mac an Bhaird 1570-1630 was from Killbarron, married Maire Ni Chleirigh; was bard of O’Donnell and took part in the Flight of the Earls in 1607. Two of his sons were Franciscans, Aodh Bui was guardian of St. Anthony’s College, Louvain and Fearghal Og was hanged in Ireland in 1642. I suspect this ‘translation’ is an original work by Magennis.

3rd March 1911. A football match was played in the Erne Park on Sunday last, between a team representing Belleek and Ballyshannon Ernes, and resulted in a draw of two goals each. Mr J. Kane was referee.

There was a nice rumpus at Fermanagh County Council, over the new roads in Belleek district. In the end the decisions of the District Council and of last meeting of the County Council were rescinded. Notice of motion to once more rescind was handed in by Mr Leonard, so that we may expect lively times.

Kinlough is to have a system of sewerage and Mr O’Brian, who is at present architect for the scheme of Labourers’ Cottages, was, on Saturday, selected as engineer by the District. Council.

The coming Census is going to make things hum in Bundoran. If half we hear be true, then it will be a plaoe worth living in at the end of March. The decision to become a Rural District within the meaning of the Act, will, it is stated, be responsible for much hospitality.

An interesting Hurling match was played on Sunday last in the Rook Enclosure between Ballyshannon Aodh Ruadh (junr.) and Ballinacarrick Faugh-a-Ballagh’s, and resulted in a win for Aodh Ruadh.

Mr Augustine Roche was selected at the United Irish League Convention in Dundalk on Monday. It is anticipated that Mr T. M Healy will again contest the Division,

Sergeant John Gardiner, R.I.C., stationed in Ballyshannon, and Inspector of Weights and Measures, leaves tomorrow (Saturday) to take charge of Newtowncunningham Station in this County. During his stay here—-scarcely two years—he carried out his duties in a most impartial and straightforward manner, being held in much esteem by the people of Ballyshannon and district. He carries with him best wishes for his future prosperity.

The Innishowen salmon fishermen have won their case in the Court of Appeal, and it only now remains for the Irish Society to take them to the House of Lords, which may happen. The decision involves very great interests outside of the district directly concerned, in fact, the whole coast line of Ireland will be affected. Let us hope the Irish Society will be advised to allow the matter to drop. If they do not it will certainly look as if they were relying upon the poverty of the fishermen being unable to provide funds for an expensive Appeal before the House of Lords,

3rd March 1911. BALLYSHANNON .LACE CLASS. ANNUAL CONCERT. The Ballyshannon Lace Class Concert has now become an annual event, and one which is looked forward to with eagerness, not only by the members of the Class, but by the general public, as being an assured artistic and musical treat in every sense, This year’s Concert maintained, if indeed it did not surpass, the usual standard of excellence. Once more the services of Miss Gabrielle O’Doherty, Strabane, had been secured, and those who heard her on her first visit to Ballyshannon were most anxious to enjoy that pleasure once more, and those who did not hear her were present this time in large numbers, and, as a consequence, the Rock Hall was well filled on Monday evening when the programme commenced. The first item was a solo by Mr William McCusker, Enniskillen, who is the possessor of. a powerful baritone, which was well suited to the songs selected, ‘The Outlaw’ and ‘ The Diver.’ An enthusiastic encore was accorded him, and he responded with ‘In Happy Moments,’ and ‘Beautiful Isle of the Sea.’ Miss Dora McCafferty’s rendering of ‘The Last Milestone’ was well worth hearing, and in response to an undeniable recall she gave ‘ The …….

Donegal Vindicator. 10th February 1911. DEATH OF MR JOHN J. GAVIGAN, U.SA. TOUCHING REFERENCES AND RESOLUTIONS.

We learn with deep regret, of the death in Trenton, U.S.A., of Mr John J. Gavigan, brother of Mr James Gavigan, Belleek Pottery. The American newspapers contain lengthened references to his death, and the loss sustained by the various organisations with which he was connected. We tender our sympathy to his bereaved family and relatives.

The Daily State Gazette’ writes John J. Gavigan, one of the best known potters in the United States, died abont  2 ’clock yesterday morning after an illness extending for more than a year. He lived at 200 Reservoir Street. He was taken ill with insomnia, and serious nervous troubles followed. Then he contracted rheumatism, and one ailment aggravated the other until he became very bad. Mr Gavigan resigned his position as superintendent of the Hallmark pottery about a year ago, since that time he had been confined to his room.

Mr Gavigan was one of the oldest potters in the country. When a boy he started work in the famous potteries at Belleek, Ireland, and learned his trade there. He was a skilled mechanic, and soon learned to master every detail of the pottery business. He became one of the best informed men in the country on matters pertaining to the pottery industry. Many sought his advice when they became puzzled over questions of the trade. He came in contact with all the leading pottery, supply houses in this country.

When a young man Mr Gavigan came to this country, and twenty six years ago he secured a position in the old Delaware pottery, on Prospect Street. The pottery was built by the Olipliants, who afterwards got control of the Bellmark pottery, and Mr Gavigan was made superintendent of the plant. By hard work he raised the pottery trade to the highest standard.,

The deceased leaves two sons—John, Jun, who is assistant superintendent of the Bellmark pottery, and Joseph a bookkeeper at the Mechanics National Bank. Mr Gavigan was a prominent member of the Ancient Order of Hibernians. Besides holding several local offices, ha was state president of the organisation for some time. He was a deep thinker and reader, and was known as a man of great wit. No matter how busy he was, he always had time to tell a humorous story and joke, and was pleased to entertain his friends. Ha was known for his oratorical ability, and won many friends by his kind disposition. Treasurer Oliphant and General Manager Gilkyson of the Bellmark Pottery, said last night that Mr Gavigan’s death would be keenly felt in the pottery world and in other business circles.

Mr Gavigan was a member of Division No 1 A.O.H., St. Patrick’s Alliance, Branch No 1 District No 7; Trenton Council No 355, Knights of Columbus; Mercer County Board, AO.H., and the Holy Name Society of St. Mary’s Cathedral. The funeral will take place from his late home, 200 Reservoir Street, on Wednesday morning at 8 o’clock. Solemn requiem High Mass will be celebrated at the Cathedral at 9 o’clock. The interment will be in St. Mary’s Cemetery.

Donegal Vindicator. 9th June 1911. DEATH. McDermott – At the Workhouse Infirmary, Ballyshannon on Friday 9th June, Terence McDermott. R.I.P.

Donegal Vindicator. 9th June 1911. This hot weather in not a season for figures, but even at the risk of injuring some splendid intellects we direct attention to an excellent exposure of the Irish deficit bogey which has been so extensively worked by the English press. Every Irishman should make himself up in the figures for which we are indebted to our contemporary ‘ The Irish Homestead’—

Our readers will all remember, for a year has hardly elapsed since a Treasury paper was issued pointing out that the local expenditure in excess of revenue in Ireland was £2,357,000 for the financial year ended 31st March, 1910. What a roar went up ! We were assured on all sides that we were living on charity, which was very ungenerous, because our English friends had been assisted by our charity for a hundred years, and had many times received from us a yearly contribution to their expenses far greater in amount than this supposed first contribution of theirs to our national expenditure. For example, in 1819 our contribution to England to help it to govern itself was £3,691,684; in 1829 it was £4,150,575 ; in 1839 it was £3,626,322 ; in 1849 it was £2,613,773; in 1859 it was £5,396,000; in 1869 it was £4,488,210; in 1879 it was £3,226,307; and in 1889 it was £2,684,694. So from these figures, figures supplied by the Treasury itself, it can be learned what average aid we gave the sister island during a century, and we were hardly prepared for the roar of exultant superiority which came from the throats of English journalists when for one year it appeared as if we were living on English charity and the more usual alternative practice was discontinued. But those who shouted loudest about the depraved pauper condition of Ireland run at a loss of £2,357,000 overlooked the fact that England itself had a deficit in the same year of £26,248,110, and if our condition was bad theirs was much worse. This was ignored, and the attitude of those who so suddenly turned and patronised us reminded us of nothing so much as an incident which occurred to the present writer, who once clubbed with a friend. and one evening the friend, who had boiled two eggs, dropped one of them, and said calmly “See, I have dropped your egg.”

It was the Irish financial egg that was dropped in 1910, and nothing at all was said about the rights of the case or the blame for dropping. Of course in that particular year the finance of both countries was disturbed by the failure of Lloyd George, to carry his famous Budget, and there were uncollected arrears of taxation both in England and Ireland—in Ireland these arrears amounted to almost one million pounds. They have been collected since. The money was there safe, but we were assured in spite of that that as a nation we were financially down at heels, and we ought to be ashamed of ourselves. But in reality, it was the English egg if any which was dropped.

Our congratulations to Dr F W Condon, F R C S I, on his appointment as Medical Officer to the County Donegal Railway’s joint committee, and also to the representatives of the Admiralty in Ballyshannon.

In a petition to the Local Government Board it is stated that there is not one vacant house in Carrickmacross. Happy landlords!

On Tuesday last, a man named McGuinness, a carpenter, residing at Bundoran, died suddenly from heart disease. Deceased who was very popular, leaves a wife and family, for whom the deepest sympathy is felt. The funeral took place on Thursday.

The Brass and Reed Band competitions at Derry Feis take place to-morrow (Saturday). Where is Ballyshannon Brass Band? Only yesterday and our Brass Band might have stood against any, now where is it? We invite a reply. It required a great and steady effort to have a band worthy of the town, and the members owe it to themselves to give an explanation of the reason for the collapse. A little plain speaking may clear the atmosphere—let us have it.

Very Rev Canon Keown, P. P., V G Enniskillen, blessed the foundation stone of a new hospice in Lough Derg last week, under the patronage of St Patrick and the Blessed Virgin Mary, It is intended for the exclusive use of women pilgrims, and will accommodate considerably over 200. The existing hospice will be entirely set apart for men in future. The building was designed by Mr W. A. Scott, architect, Dublin, and is of the most modern type. It is being built, of iron and concrete, and will be fireproof. The contractor, Mr Connolly, of Dublin is proceeding rapidly with the work, and hopes to have the increased accommodation available for this season’s pilgrimage, His foreman Mr Mulligan, and Mr Stell, who represents the company supplying the iron materials, courteously assisted Canon Known and Rev. Father Gormley, C. C., in the work of laying the foundation stone.

Donegal Vindicator. 3rd February 1911. CAPTAIN COLLUM DEAD. KILLED BY THE ELECTION. All over Co., Fermanagh universal regret was felt on Saturday when it became known that Captain A. P. T. Collum, J P, D L, had died at his residence, Bellevue, Enniskillen. The deceased gentleman, it will be remembered, unsuccessfully contested North Fermanagh in the Liberal interest at the General Election last month. For over a year past he had been indelicate health, and the anxiety and worry entailed in fighting a contested Parliamentary election told seriously against his reserve of strength, with the result that immediately after it was over he took seriously ill, and from the first but little hope was entertained of his ultimate recovery.

A son of the late Captain William Collum, Bellevue, he inherited a very considerable property in the county, on the death of his father including house property in the town of Enniskillen. He was a kind and indigent landlord, and none will more sincerely mourn his death than his tenants. He was born at Bellevue in 1866, and was educated at Cheltenham and St John’s College, Cambridge.

For some time he was Captain in the 3rd Batt Royal Irish Fusiliers, and was also a member of the Irish Bar. He disposed of his agricultural land to his tenants under the c1903 Act, but retained in his possession the demesne grounds at Bellevue, comprising some 600 acres. On two occasions he filled the office of High Sheriff of Co Fermanagh.

Advertisements

The Erne Packet 8/2/1844.

THE ERNE PACKET 8-2-1844

ROYAL SPEECH. Our enterprising Dublin contemporary, the Mail, notwithstanding the state of the roads and the severe adverse gales, brought the Royal Speech by express to Dublin, where it reached in twenty two hours after its delivery in the House of Lords. We have to acknowledge our thanks to our contemporaries the Northern Whig and the Dublin Evening Post, for additional copies, since our last publication.

THE WEATHER.—For several days past we have had much storm in addition to constant wet; and yesterday we had several snow showers. The air was excessively cold.

The Hon. and Rev. J. C. Maude has received from the Magistrates at Enniskillen Petit Sessions, part of a fine, 2s. 6d for the poor of Enniskillen.

BIBLE ASSOCIATION MEETING.

On Wednesday the 31st ult. the Belleek and Slavin Bible Association held its first anniversary meeting in Rose Island, at Belleek. (The house built for the Dowager Lady Caldwell where Belleek Pottery is now.) The meeting was respectably attended, but owing to the severity of the day was not so large as might have been expected. The Rev. George Huston being voted to the chair, opened the meeting with prayer; and proceeded by reading letters from several Ladies and Gentlemen regretting their being prevented by the inclemency of the weather from attending the meeting, among which was one from Mrs. Johnston, of Magheramena, enclosing one pound, subscription to the Association. — Wallcott, Esq., apologised for the Rev. J. B. Tuthill being prevented by his parochial duties from attending.  Mr William Knox, Secretary of the Association, having read a most interesting report. The first resolution was moved by the Rev. H. A. Burke Rector of the parish of Trory; seconded by Mr. William Knox, of Belleek. The second resolution was moved by R. M. Hamilton, Esq., T.C.D.; seconded by —Walcott, Esq., of Castle Caldwell.

The third resolution was moved by the Rev. Mr. Auchinleck, Curate of Pettigo; seconded by Mr. Samuel Mills, of Churchhill. Several gentlemen who addressed the meeting spoke in a most animated and impressive manner. The thanks of the meeting having been voted to the Rev. Mr. Huston for his upright and praiseworthy conduct in the chair, the Rev. gentleman addressed the meeting in a very edifying manner, and dismissed it by pronouncing the blessing. All present were highly pleased with the proceedings of the day.

 

COUNTY FERMANAGH. TO BE SOLD. FOR EVER. THE DRESTERNAN ESTATE,

SITUATE in a most desirable part of the above county within ten miles of Enniskillen, six of Belturbet, and four of Ballyconnell. containing: 583 acres 3 roods and 31 perches, statute measure, of which there are 433 acres, 2 roods and 1 perch occupied by solvent under tenants, producing a clear yearly rent of £247 5s. 5d, the remaining 156 acres 1 rood and 13 perches are attached to the Mansion-house, now the residence of the owners of said property, which said Mansion house, with the Garden and Grounds attached thereto, regard: being had to the Timber Trees growing thereon as being of considerable value, would, with a little outlay, make a most desirable country residence, commanding a view of Lough Erne, is estimated at being well worth £250 a-year.

The above property is subject to a fee farm rent of £64 12s 2d a-year, but which is more in the nature of a charge affecting it than a head rent, inasmuch as the fee is in the Vendors.

Application to be made to .Mr. Patrick Kiernan, Solicitor, 40, Upper Gloucester Street, Dublin,, who is authorised to treat with a purchaser.

 

EDUCATION. DARLING STREET, (WEST BRIDGE,) ENNISKILLEN.

THE MISSES STODDART. GIVE Instructions to Young Ladies in the following branches of Education:—per Quarter.

ENGLISH in general, WRITING, and ARITHMETIC.       £1 1 0

FRENCH                                                                                      £010 0

DRAWING and PAINTING IN WATER COLOURS         £1 0 0

PAINTING IN OIL                                                                     £1 10 0

Music (24 Lessons).                                                                   £1  1   0

Children, under Six Years of Age, taught on the Infant School system, 10s. Per Quarter.

A third Child in one family, taken gratis. Summer Vacation not charged.

The Misses Stoddart beg to annex the following Testimonial with which they have been honoured: – We, whose names are hereunto subscribed, having witnessed the advancement of the Pupils under the care of the Misses STODDART, and from a minute and careful inspection of their system of Education, feel it a duty which we owe.to those Ladies to express our decided approval of the course adopted by them.

And feeling, likewise, that all who duly appreciate the importance of education, must be equally interested in the promotion of a plan of study which lays down as a first principle in education that religious knowledge must not only form a part but be a prominent feature in the system, will concur in the approbation above expressed.

Convinced, moreover, that a .system which lays the foundation on such principles must insure the raising of a superstructure at once classic and refined, by blending, therewith the most attractive and useful discoveries of modern science.

JOHN CORNES, Quarter-Master, 53d Regt.

R.P. Cleary, Clk. A. M., Curate of Enniskillen.

JOHN TAYLOR, Clk., Rector of Rossorry.

WILLIAM WATKINS.

GEORGE WOOD.

RICHARD NEWCOMEN.

MARK WHITTAKER, Clk.

Enniskillen, January 24, 1844.

 

John Cunningham, Erne Heritage Tours.
adam4eves@aol.com

Blog – cunninghamsway.com

Fermanagh’s Early Formal Education.

John Cunnigham         Page 1 3/24/2016

“Times will never be good till poor men leave off whiskey and poor women tea” – A look at Fermanagh’s Early Formal Education from a social perspective.

John McEvoy in his Statistical Survey of Tyrone writes in 1802 “When children are able to perform any sort of work, such as herding of cattle, they are then taken from school.” Children provided a major part of the labour force in the 19th century. Their labour and the income it provided were vital for the family’s existence thus education was for those who could afford it, both in paying for it and in the loss of income which the child’s labour could have generated. The purpose of this article is to get some idea of early education in Fermanagh, the motives of those providing it, the means of delivering it and some thoughts on its impact.

Today education is seen largely in terms of fitting out children for jobs in later life. However the early providers of formal education just over two hundred years ago saw education principally and, especially for the masses, as a means of saving their souls. In a sense they were being educated for the next world rather than this world and concern was often expressed lest the masses be educated above their station in life. “The Church of England, like most denominations, has claimed the right to supervise education in the interests of perpetuating the faith.” [i] The same can be writ large over Irish education.

Formal education in Fermanagh probably begins with the establishment of the Fermanagh Royal Free School now usually referred to as Portora Royal School. By order of the Privy Council in 1608, Royal Schools were to be established as free places of education in connection with the confiscated lands of Ulster, “for the education of youth in learning and religion” After a brief sojourn in Lisnaskea the school was built near the present Enniskillen Cathedral c 1643. It was moved to Portora in c1777 and educated both Roman Catholics and Protestants alike. However, in 1891, the Roman Catholics took their half of the endowments to educate their own children separately. Why this was necessary is unclear since many Catholics went through Portora to become priests and even bishops e.g. Rev. Edward Kernan, bishop of Clogher 1824-44 and native of  Enniskillen was educated at Portora.

An act of 1709 made it an offence, punishable by immediate transportation, for any catholic to teach school publicly or privately. This act was not repealed until 1792. All teachers other than those of the Established Church were proscribed under the Penal Laws. This applied to Catholics and Presbyterians alike and a list of illegal Catholic Schools in Clogher shows that in 1731 there were 14 illegal Popish Schools in the Diocese of Clogher  with 4 Popish Schoolmasters in the town of Clogher (Tyrone), 3 in Clones and Galloon, 2 in Cleenish and one each in Monaghan Town, Donagh, and Magheraculmoney. [ii] In 1779 Presbyterians were officially allowed to become teachers and in 1782 Catholics were likewise allowed. In 1733 The Society for the Promotion of Christian Knowledge in Ireland got a Royal Charter to solicit funds and build schools to educate poor Protestants and proselytise poor Catholic children. [iii]

Protestant and Catholic religious buildings were often the focus of early education. James Murphy, Bishop of Clogher, 1801-1824 writes in 1814 of the building of “upwards of thirty good chapels … within these twenty eight years and there are two more on hands at present.” [iv] These chapels were typically a square slated house unadorned apart from a set of the stations of the cross inside and a bare earthen floor without seats or pews. The people often gathered inside the chapel to gossip, exchange news and do business before the priest arrived to say mass. The building also functioned as a meeting place for clergy and laity and for catechism teaching. In addition, “Where ever there was a chapel the school was held in a chapel. The scholars made basses of straw and sat on them and wrote on their knees. They kindled the turf outside and brought it inside and put it in a hole to heat the scholars.” [v]

The revenue of the parish priests of Clogher varied according to the wealth of their parishioners and their own private property which they inherited from their families. Of the 36 Parish priests in 1800, four or five had slightly more than £100, four less than £50 and the rest earned between £60 and £90. They were relatively well off. On the other hand the curates eked out a miserable existence. They got their “keep” from the parish priest which was invariably miserly or from a special collection of the parish. Curates frequently had to seek additional income and often this was through education. Fr. John Keenan who was curate in Glasslough in 1814 was unable to live without the profits he derived from running a school.[vi]

It is a misconception to think that Ireland, especially Roman Catholic Ireland, in the late 18th and early 19th century was largely a society of oral culture. Books were common and often locally produced in Ireland and they were freely available through the travelling chapman. Hundreds of chapmen roamed the towns, villages and countryside selling ribbons, needles, toys, combs, mirrors, stockings, knives, scissors, coloured pictures, pepper, cloth and small items of clothing and a wide range of chapbooks. Ballad sheets and the printed last speeches of criminals were also sold. These men generally followed a regular route and built up a knowledge of what did and did not sell therefore the books they carried for sale represented the tastes of his customers. The smaller variety of chapbook were known as sheet books where a single sheet of paper was folded to make a booklet of 16 or 32 pages and which generally sold for 1 penny. Those for children were about 5 ½ inches by 3 ½ inches and contained from 4 to 24 pages and depending on illustrations and quality of cover sold from a few farthings to a shilling and they were sold in thousands. One Enniskillen chapman was Lauturnal Hudson who lived in Eden Street.

These books were a weird and wonderful collection of which we find evidence in the report of the Commissioners of Education in 1825. Henry Cook, a Presbyterian schoolmaster of County Derry tells the Commissioners of only three school-books used, Manson’s Primer and Spelling Book and Fenning’s Universal Spelling Book but goes on to list 14 other books used in schools including Valentine and Orson, Irish Rogues and Raparees, Chineese Tales, Lilliputian Magazine, Seven Champions of Christendom and Destruction of Troy and  History of Captain Freney, a robber to name a few. A further selection of school texts which he came across in his education is given by the writer, William Carleton. These included The Battle of Aughrim, the Forty Thieves, Robin Hood’s Garland (a Garland was a book containing several ballads), The most pleasing and delightful history of Reynard the fox and the Garden of Love. [vii] The Lilliputian Magazine and the Youth’s Instructor were two of the most popular childrens’ books in the 18th century and mentioned as such to the Commissioners in their report of 1825 as being popular in the Hedge Schools. The former was subtitled, The young gentleman and lady’s golden library, being an attempt to mend the world, and contained stories, jests, riddles and songs. It was published in London in 1752 and subsequently a Belfast edition appeared in 1775. This edition omitted all illustration, substituted a prayer instead of the original preface and had prayers and hymns added to it. The Youth’s instructor had a similar content and had local editions published from 1768 to 1780. Similar books were the foundation of early school education in Fermanagh.

The demand for the ability to read increased in the 1700s with the arrival of newspapers in Ulster. There had been papers in Dublin from the late 1600s but the first in Ulster was the Belfast Newsletter in 1737. It began as a single sheet printed on both sides and then rose to a four page format which it held for over a hundred years. The Northern Star, 1792-1797, the organ of the United Irishmen, was also published in Belfast and eagerly read for its political content in the period up to the 1798 Rebellion. Its presses were wrecked by the Monaghan Militia in 1797. Thomas Paine was one of the great influences on the United Irishmen and others and between March 1791 and February 1792 he published numerous editions of his Rights of Man, in which he defended the French Revolution against the attacks by Edmund Burke, in his Reflections on the Revolution in France. But it was more than a defence of the French Revolution it was an analysis of the roots of the discontent in Europe and which he attributed to arbitrary government, poverty, illiteracy, unemployment and war. It was originally priced at 3 shillings but despite this it sold 50,000 copies in a few weeks. Later it appeared in a 6d edition and was read and quoted by almost everyone. Developments like these provided powerful incentives for adults as well as children to learn to read. The Belfast Newsletter reckoned that about six people read each of its editions and the reality may have been many more for any paper or pamphlet. The paper would have been read aloud in an inn and by the fireside, debated over and re-read many times until it physically disintegrated.

Religious literature was a steady seller for the itinerant chapman. Bunyan’s Pilgrim’s Progress sat easily in any religious camp but most were by popular nonconformist authors. Common Prayer books, the Protestant Dissenter’s catechism and Bibles sold well. From the 1790s onward a new form of religious work came to be sold or given away in Ireland – the religious tract. These were aimed at the poor by their social and economic betters who no doubt felt themselves to be their moral and religious betters also. The literary entertainment of the lower classes was seen to be a source of corruption to them and religious tracts were intended to counteract these and dispose them to “honesty, sobriety, industry, cleanliness and submission to the laws, instead of the contrary vices to which they were accustomed to be stimulated by their former course of reading, are truly incalculable.”[viii]

There is little to suggest that any of the books so far listed should be seen as a source of corruption to the lower orders but appearances could be deceptive. Much of the literature was escapist and set in far away places or in a chivalric style which allowed naughty bits to be written and immediately condemned after the little bit of titillation had been recounted. (See today’s popular newspapers). The Works of Aristotle, the famous philosopher, was a creation of an anonymous hack or hacks and had nothing to do with the famous philosopher of that name and was a straightforward sex book concerning procreation. It was full of totally errant sexual information such as how to beget a male or female child or how to foretell the sex of children. However, even  a book such as the Seven Champions of Christendom containing tales of St. Patrick, St. David, St. George etc has satyrs dragging fair maidens away by the hair, saints resting themselves on their ladies’ fair bosoms and a staked out, naked, virgin, about to be raped by three deformed Moors. Even the most innocent sounding of titles, The most pleasing and delightful history of Reynard the fox, and which Carleton had read at school had its coarse humour. In the story King Lion has sent Sir Tybert , the cat, to bring Reynard the fox to court but Raynard has tricked the cat into a trap set by Martinet, the priest. Followed by Dame Jollocks, his wife, the priest and his son run down the stairs when the trap is sprung during the night and attempt to beat the life out of the cat  “… which the cat perceiving, and finding what danger he was in, taking a desperate leap between the naked priest’s legs, with his claws and teeth caught hold of his genitals, and brought them clean away which made him a perfect eunuch, this Dame Jollock seeing, cried out most piteously, and swore she would rather have lost ten years offerings, than one small morsel of those precious jewels …. “ [ix]

The report of the Commissioners of Irish Education Inquiry in 1824 revealed that almost 400,000 children attended 9,352 pay schools in Ireland which are more popularly but largely inaccurately known as hedge schools. Some may have literally been held behind a hedge in the summer months but the reality of Irish weather dictates that this could not be done in the rain and cold of most of the year. They had their biggest attendance in the warmth of summer, were half attended in the heavy work periods of Spring and Autumn and almost deserted in the cold and frost of Winter. The more usual term for these schools in the Belleek area of Fermanagh was barn schools which more properly reflected the premises in which the schools were conducted although the term Hedge School was still used. In the 1824 Commissioners report Conagher school in Inishmacsaint Parish was conducted in an excavation in a turf bank covered with scraws. This school house had been erected at a cost of 6 shillings but it seems to have been popular as its master, James Timoney, was earning £15-10-0 per year. There were 19 schools in Fermanagh specifically mentioned as being carried on in barns.

Most school buildings in Fermanagh were described as indifferent, bad or very bad. The exceptions are therefore all the more interesting. (The school names are spelt as in the 2nd report of the Commissioners of Irish Educational Inquiry.) In Clones Parish, Ahadrumsee school cost £120 and Clogh £150-£200 and was held above a parish stable. Rabbit Island school in Drumkeeran Parish cost £44 and in Cleenish Parish, Belnalick School cost £22 and Skea was built for a princely £250 by its patron, Mr. George Hazzard. In Devenish Parish, Kilcoo School cost £32 and was built by Major Dunbar and Ely Lodge School cost £100 and was built by the Marquis of Ely. In Enniskillen, Portora Royal School, was estimated to have cost £4000, Windmill Hill School in Enniskillen cost £35 and was built by the master, Hugh Mc Guire. The Moat School in Aghalurcher Parish was two stories high, contained two school rooms and five private apartments and cost £500. In Derryvullan Parish, Tamlagh School cost £35 in Irvinestown the Erasmus Smith School was in a good two story slated house which had cost  £300. In Magheracross Parish, Ballinamallard School cost £100. In Enniskillen many of the schools are indicated as being held in a room in a lodging house. There are 28 schools in Fermanagh described as “Bad” or “Very Bad” but it is impossible to say what exactly this means alongside the description, “a mere hovel” or how might one classify the 38 school houses built of sods or having mud walls.

In some accounts hedge schools have been highly praised as places of great learning where the teachers passed on their knowledge of Latin and Greek to those who would then go to the Continent to become priests. Since this was forbidden under the Penal Laws such education brought considerable risks to the teacher and the school was protected by a pupil or pupils on lookout. By June 18th, 1666 all Irish schoolmasters had to take the Oath of Allegiance and from the Penal Laws of 1695 after September 7th nobody other than those of the Established Church could open schools in Ireland or send children to school in Europe. The enduring image is as portrayed in these lines.

….crouching ‘neath the sheltering hedge,

Or stretch’d on mountain fern,

The teacher and his pupils met

Feloniously to learn.

 

Lord O’Hagan: The New Spirit of the Nation. P16

This rather daring and romantic view of education of the time is a contrast to other accounts where the schools are conducted in squalor and educational anarchy. A single teacher might well be struggling with a hundred or more pupils crammed into a thatched hovel dug into a roadside hill. The truth usually lies somewhere in between as most schools were private initiatives and lasted as long as there were enough pupils paying to make it economically viable. Simon Macken, the Fermanagh scribe and schoolmaster is earning £80 per year according to the 1825/6 report. He taught in a room in a lodging house and most of his pupils were Protestant although he was a Catholic. His fees were obviously high and most other teachers were earning around £10 per annum. Most schools were quasi-parochial schools that had to charge fees to survive. The 2nd Report of the Commissioners of Education 1826 records 240 schools in Fermanagh which include Portora Royal School, the Vaughan Charitable Charter School near Kesh, a Classical School in Maguiresbridge run by the Rev. James Ewing and a night school in Enniskillen. In this number only eleven schools were free schools and the rest pay schools. One of the free schools was the school inside Enniskillen Jail. Of those listed as Master or Mistress of the schools 102 were Protestant and of these 4 were Presbyterians and the remaining 138 were Roman Catholic making a total of 240. There were 20 female teachers and 220 male teachers. Three schools were listed as having both a male and a female teacher and two of these were apparently husband and wife or brother and sister. One pair were not related at least according to their names.

Six of the schools were conducted in Church, Meeting House or Chapel. Cunnin School in Drumkeeran Parish, Farnaconnell in Boho Parish, Mitchell Chapel School in Derryvullen Parish and Coa School in Magheracross Parish were all in Roman Catholic Chapels.  On Main Street, Enniskillen a school was held in the ruinous Vestry Room of the Presbyterian Meeting House and leased by the Roman Catholic schoolmaster, Michael Sharkey. The school room for Castle Balfour School was held in the porch of Lisnaskea Church of Ireland. The school income for the Master or Mistress of the institution varied enormously from the incredible £1,300 of the Rev. Andrew O’Beirne of Portora Royal School to £3-10-0 which Charles Kerrigan got for teaching in a cow house in Glencart School in Inishmacsaint Parish. Many of the salaries are marked “not ascertained” but leaving out the Portora Headmaster’s salary the rest of the teachers earned about £10 per annum.

The vast majority of schools were attended by both Established Church and Roman Catholic children in Fermanagh in the mid 1820s. Only 8 were attended solely by Roman Catholics and only 10 by Protestants alone. However none of the religious bodies were content with this situation. By every means possible they tried to develop their own sectarian school system and by the end of the 20th century were overwhelmingly successful in this. Whether this has been to the benefit of Irish society is a matter for individual judgement.

One aspect of education generally overlooked in early education is the role of the Sunday School movement.   From the appendices to the Annual Report 1817 p33 comes this indication of their development in Fermanagh. “Corlave, County Fermanagh (near Kesh) 13th June, 1816. At first we found it hard to get on; the children were hard to govern, but upon receiving the Hints (Hints were advice on how to run a Sunday School)[x] from you, it enabled us to strike out a much better plan, and we have order and prosperity now. During the Winter I had often thought about dismissing the school till 1st of March, but seeing the willingness of the children to come through the frost and snow barefooted, and some of them having very little clothing on them, so that seeing the children so united to the school we thought it best to teach on.

Initially there was much cooperation between Protestants and Roman Catholics “to ensure that the poor of any background should receive the kind of help offered by the Sunday Schools.” [xi] Many pupils and even some teachers were Catholics and Catholics often helped towards the cost of school buildings. By 1830 such support was disapproved of by the Catholic Church and in some cases parents were asked to remove their children. From the 1835 report “A great number of Roman Catholic children attended the school until lately, when many of them were withdrawn, owing to the interference of the priest, who has been lately appointed to the Parish. Several of the parents in the neighbourhood have refused to obey these orders and I have reason to believe that all the bibles and testaments granted by your society are studied at home by those families, even those who have been withdrawn.” [xii]

The Sunday School classes consisted of reading the Bible, the Testament only, reading lessons in spelling books 1&2, spelling words of many syllables, fewer syllables, hearing the alphabet or monosyllables. The price list from “Hints for Conducting Sunday Schools” 1822 shows that Bibles cost 2s-2p, Testaments 6p, Spelling book No1, 1p, bound in linen 2p, spelling book No 2, 2p and bound in linen 3p. The invaluable “Hints” itself cost 2 shillings. Prizes were given at the Sunday Schools and these included Bibles or Testaments, plain useful clothing, the privilege of being allowed to borrow books from the Sunday School Library, admission to a weekly school, probably in the evening when arithmetic was taught, a recommendation to the Gentry for service or a testimonial on leaving school to help gain employment. These were powerful incentives to learn and an interesting mix of present and future benefits.

The growth of Sunday Schools in England and Ireland was spectacular. In 1780 Robert Raikes opened the first Sunday Schools in Gloucester. He was the evangelical proprietor of the Gloucester Journal and became the foremost publicist for the movement. He saw himself as leading a great social rescue campaign by getting street urchins to come to his schools. He claimed dramatic results. He said that the urchins became church-going Christians, they acquired a respect for rank, property and good order and he boasted that for the first time in living memory no case was waiting to be tried at Gloucester Court Assizes. Some of these early Gloucester Sunday Schools seem more like correctional institutions than schools. In 1863 an old attendee at these early schools recalled “some terrible bad chaps went to school when I first went … I know the parents of one or two of them used to walk them to school with 14 lb weights tied to their legs … to keep them from running away. Some were sent to school with logs of wood tied to their legs or were strapped all the way there. The children did not want to spend their one free day of the week in a classroom but of greater interest is the attitude of parents who were showing such ruthlessness in trying to get their children some form of education.

Many thought it very dangerous to educate the lower orders at all as it would only make them discontented, disrespectful of their betters in terms of property and position and ultimately harder to govern. The usual diet of those of the lower orders who could read were “Chap Books” filled with tales of blood and guts, highwaymen etc but in addition Thomas Paine’s “Rights of Man” sold in large numbers in the 1790s and were read by those who had been taught to read in the Sunday Schools. Many pointed this out to the promoters of education. To refute these unsettling ideas and to form a bulwark against seditious ideas one notable lady, Hannah Moore, and her friends began to produce “cheap repository tracts” in 1795 which was a new form of literature. These were moral tales and ballads attractively illustrated and resembled the traditional reading material of the masses, the chap books. They had a vast circulation for their time and about 2 million were sold or given away in one year. The aim of the Sunday School and of the Tracts were to teach religion to poor children disguised in the garb of the chap books.

Some assessment of the hunger for learning to read can be seen in the 1825 Sunday Schools  Report. One particular Sunday School mentioned in the 1825 report was set up by a benevolent and pious man. He assembled the children in a room in his own house and when that apartment became too small for the numbers who crowded into it, he was obliged to adjourn to his hay-yard where he collected the classes under the haycocks. Pitying the little ones who came without shoes or stockings in the frost and snow he used to desire them to pull out the hay until it reached their knees and so to keep themselves warm. In another case “Yesterday, Sunday, the ground was deeply covered with snow, yet, just at daylight, 105 young people assembled in the schoolroom at Dungiven. A great many of these had come more than two miles in the moonlight, and several of them were without shoes.” [xiii]

The overwhelming emphasis on religious and moral education in time provoked a reaction. Henry Dunn, secretary to the British and Foreign School Society wrote in his influential “Principles of Education” in 1838, “For the absurdities of those who would confine the education of the labouring classes to religious instruction alone, I am not responsible. I have no sympathy with notions so narrow and selfish. He went on to add that Religious education could only succeed if children were taught to live in this world as well as the next. [xiv]

The provision of Catholic education was felt increasingly necessary on account of the activities of Protestant proselytising educational organizations and probably in competition to the Sunday School movement. These included the Kildare Place Society, the London Hibernian Society and the Association for the Discountenancing of Vice. They provided finance for teachers’ salaries and books and equipment for the school provided the children were read the Authorized Version of the Bible. Under the heading of Societies, Associations etc. with which the school is connected the Commissioners in their 1824 report notes that 15 Fermanagh schools were being aided by the Kildare Place Society, 7 of them in conjunction with the London Hibernian Society who additionally aided 50 schools on its own and one in conjunction with the London Female Society. The Association Incorporated for Discountenancing Vice and Promoting the Knowledge and Practice of the Christian Religion founded in 1792 aided 3 Fermanagh schools and the London Female Society for educating the female poor of Ireland one school at Spring Grove, Roslea.

Proper school books as we might term them today came with the Kildare Place Society. This society, the Society for the Promotion of Education in Ireland, founded in 1811 and named after the location of its headquarters, produced its first book in 1813. This was the Dublin Spelling Book followed shortly after by the Dublin Reading Book. They were first produced as large wall charts with 60 of the former and 100 of the latter being considered suitable for a school of 2/300. Their tone was moral and religious; exhorting social improvement, “Times will never be good till poor men leave off whiskey and poor women tea.” was exhorted in “The History of Richard Mc Ready, the Farmer Lad” p28 from an early Kildare Place Society book. This society eventually lost its Government grant in 1831 but it was the working model for the Commissioners of National Education in Ireland.

A landmark was reached in Irish education in 1931 when the Government set up a fund to provide national schools. The Commissioners of Education were willing to supply low cost books, contribute towards desks and other school equipment, provide money towards teachers’ salaries and most handsomely of all to contribute two thirds towards the cost of erecting a new school. It was hoped/expected that the schools would cater for all religious denominations in the local community and lists of Protestant and Catholic clergy and laity generally accompanied an application especially where both communities were fairly balanced on a religious basis. Many Protestant clergy opposed the national school system but their laity was conspicuously in support of it as seen in their signatures of support. Access for all clergy to the school had to be guaranteed and permission given for parents to exclude their children from religious education. The local contribution of one third of the cost of the school building was generally accepted in the form of labour and materials. Religious education was usually undertaken on a Saturday or after official school hours that were solely given to lay instruction. There were to be no devotional objects on display in the school.

Building a school was generally a community activity. The landlord frequently gave the site free and the building was erected by voluntary labour. Farmers lent horses and carts to transport sand and stones and often a small quarry was opened nearby to raise the building stone. The site of the school was governed by the closeness of suitable building material and often built adjacent to a small stream. Toilets were built over the stream to provide the “flush” in these rudimentary ablutions. Funds came occasionally from bequests but more usually from the preaching of charity sermons, chapel gate collections and pew rentals in the chapel.

School equipment was of the most basic kind. They frequently had no desks and planks on stones were common for sitting on or seats borrowed from the nearby chapel. Thatched roofs often leaked and generally the school had a mud floor. The fire was often in the centre of the floor with a hole in the roof acting as a chimney. In the winter the children took turns to cluster about the fire and then rotated with those furthest away from the heat. School lunch was often a potato or two pushed into the hot coals until cooked. Frequently the building of new chapels by Catholic communities put school building plans on hold or curtailed the education then provided. Bantry Free School was forced to dismiss the school mistress while the community paid for the new church and left the schoolmaster to teach 150 boys and 100 girls. [xv]

The Commissioners of National Education introduced books on domestic and vocational training as time went by. Boys were inculcated in farming and girls in domestic economy. In 1842 the 9th Report of the Commissioners pointed out that the vastly greater part of Irishmen relied almost entirely on small holdings for a livelihood, “which exhibit proofs of the worst possible cultivation and scenes of appalling want.” Another innovation was the introduction of Geography books intended for the children of the poor. These were factual books rather than exciting and full of lists of town, rivers and the location of industries. Exposure to even minimal geographical information must have had an influence on emigration especially when allied to the influence of emigrant letters. One of the major reasons why so much geography, tales of the animal and vegetable kingdom etc came to dominate school texts was the unsleeping suspicion of the religious groups. The National System produced a Third Book of Lessons with a story of a young girl tempted to steal some grapes for her sick mother. She successfully resisted the temptation but tells a woman who tells her not to worry as God will forgive her. The Catholic authorities objected saying that she should have been advised to confess to a priest.XV1

Arising from these Geography books came many of the national stereotypes which are still alive and well today and can still be seen in the popular British press. From the point of view of self-confident Victorian Britain others were judged – Britain and British behaviour of course being normal. It would be hilarious if it were not so serious and the consequences so pervasive down to the present day. The Irish were lively and clever but ignorant, formerly given to drink but latterly one of the soberest nations in Europe. The Lowlanders of Scotland were steady, industrious and literate while the Highlanders were poor, intelligent and banded themselves together in clans. The Welsh were fond of music (apparently their only saving grace) while the Belgians were lively, talkative but hot-tempered. The Dutch were sedate and slow but contented and hard-working while the Swedes were brave and honest. For their sins (and how did they manage to offend Victorian Britain?) the Lapps were ignorant, cowardly, indolent and dirty but harmless while the Russians were proud but less ignorant and barbarian than they had been in the past. The Germans were contented, quiet and industrious and the Italians indolent but clever and ingenious. [xvi]

The building of Workhouses with the coming of the Irish Poor Law System provided Fermanagh pupils with five new schools. Three of these were in Fermanagh at Irvinestown, Enniskillen and Lisnaskea while Clones and Ballyshannon, at either end of Fermanagh catered for large areas of the county also. Boards of Guardians were, however, sometimes reluctant to spend money on even the most basic equipment such as writing slates. Occasionally, it was even questioned whether pauper children even needed to be taught basic literacy. In 1839 the Guardians of Pershore Union decided that “it is quite unnecessary to teach the children in the union workhouse the accomplishment of writing” However, they were forced to change their minds in 1844 when the Parish Apprentices Act demanded that “pauper apprentices be able to read and write their own names unaided”. The quality of the education provided in workhouse classrooms varied considerably, but in some cases was probably better than was available in other types of school. Teachers were paid £5 p.a. plus food and lodgings and preference was given to young unmarried males.

In the early days of education in the 19th century virtually anyone could become a teacher if sufficient parents were willing to pay him or her to teach their children. Widows with a smattering of education could take up teaching and crippled soldiers or sailors might try their hand also. Many young Irishmen began their teaching career as “poor scholars”. They learned all they could at their local school and then travelled with their satchel of books on their backs to other schools of repute to learn more until they felt they had sufficient knowledge and skill to found their own schools or take over from someone else. During this time they had to eke out a precarious existence probably teaching the children of the house they lodged in as payment for their keep. Lady Chatterton met some poor scholars on her tour of Ireland in 1838 and described them as “that interesting race who feed their minds with the crumbs of learning that fall from the hedge schools, and their bodies with the stray potatoes they pick up in the farmhouses.”

Some teachers had training in model schools such as those set up by the Kildare Place Society and later the National Model School system but individual teachers often set out their own stall in printed broadsheets or in advertisements in the local papers. All undertook to teach the 3 Rs of reading, writing and arithmetic and the fees for these were fairly standard. However those who claimed an ability to teach Mathematics or Surveying for example could well demand four or five times the quarterly rate demanded for the more mundane subjects. The rote learning system lent itself to arithmetic and especially tables and with such success that another writer claimed that arithmetic was the “Irishman’s hobby.” [xvii]

Teachers’ pay depended on the prosperity of the locality and the standing and appreciation of the teacher’s knowledge in the area but it was still a struggle to get the fees from the parents. The coming of the National School system was seized as a golden opportunity by all clergy but particularly the Catholic clergy to have schools virtually built free and to have teachers paid for them. The applications for aid often show that the local priest wished to overthrow the local pay school with his own National school where he would be in control as he wasn’t necessarily so in a pay school. On the other hand the existing school and schoolmaster and school very often simply became a National School. The community now benefited by not having to pay fees directly to the teacher or indirectly through church gate collections etc. “When eventually the priest did control Irish schools, secular education did not change, for while the priest who was invariably the school manager too, saw to it that his children had proper religious instruction he displayed complete indifference to what went on otherwise.” Xviii

Down until recent times the annual visitation of the Diocesan Religious Inspector to schools was a much feared feature of school life for both pupil and teachers. Regardless of ability children were forced (in Catholic schools from personal experience) to learn off by heart great and largely unintelligible chunks from the old Green Catechism – clerical gobblegook. Liberal and indeed excessively liberal amounts of corporal punishment were administered in the run up to the feared exam which took over the whole school curriculum for months before the event. Invariably the teacher has been blamed for the corporal punishment but few of the pupils made the connection that it was being imposed at the imperious behest of, and full knowledge of the clergy.

The salary grant to National School teachers was supposed to augment the teacher’s income from fees but the difficulty in collecting them got even worse when this new government grant became available. The National School grant was soon taken to be the teacher’s salary and payment of fees disappeared with a subsequent considerable lowering of teachers’ incomes. Often the priest undertook to finance a number of free places in the school but this too often provoked trouble when the teacher never received the promised fee money. The vast majority of teachers were poor, but poor in common with most of their community, and their income was often supplemented by eggs, potatoes or chickens donated by grateful or expectant parents – expectant in the sense of expecting much from the teacher teaching their children.

Not a lot is known of the early methods of teaching but oral repetition was the main method employed especially in the early stages. This repetition was called “rehearsing” and was still employed down to recent times where children learned their tables in a sort of sing-song fashion. Many would still approve of this learning by repetition despite its numerous detractors but it certainly worked. Before regular school readers were developed each child read to the teacher from whatever books were available. As we have seen these spanned a very broad spectrum indeed. Children read aloud to the teacher and to themselves and each other and the result must have been bedlam to listen to, when all were chiming together. Visitors often commented unfavourably on the books they found the children reading but this paled beside the burning desire of most children to learn to read and the parents pride in their children mastering this skill which few of them had themselves. Down to the recent past it was still a matter of scorn to refer to someone who was so illiterate as never gotten beyond the Third Reading Book.

As time went on and emigration grew letter writing was the only means scattered families could communicate and it was vital to have a skilled reader in every house. Otherwise the postman or a neighbour had to be employed to read the important letters from England or America. Reading the letter was often a social occasion for all the neighbours or the focus of the ceiling group who came to the house at night. The letter might be read several times to make sure all the news had been gleaned from it and then the news would be talked over for hours or even days after as the information the letter contained wafted through the whole community.

Latin and Greek were taught in some of the hedge schools to prepare boys for entrance to university and ecclesiastical colleges on the Continent. Sir James Caldwell of Castle Caldwell, near Belleek, wrote in 1764: “In order to qualify the children for foreign service, they are all taught Latin in schools kept in poor huts, in many places in the southern part of the country.” The hedge schools have some share in the decline of the Irish language as do the National Schools when they came into being but it is far too simplistic to blame the schools as there were many other factors at work. English was the language of the fairs and markets and of currency. Those who wished to emigrate or go to England for the harvest all needed English and parents wanted their children to have this skill. There was active discouragement of Irish in schools and many a child was severely dealt with for their inability to converse, write and figure in English but like many another thing in schools, then and now, it was thought to be for their own good. The only common books in Irish were the Bible and some devotional books. Priests in Maynooth from areas of the country where Irish was still strong had to take Irish as a compulsory subject.

The National Schools were even more influential in reducing the use of Irish as the whole curriculum and the means of instruction were all in English and most importantly it was in English that the School Inspectors examined the children. Correct answers given in Irish were of no use especially since few Inspectors had any Irish themselves. The decline in the speaking of Irish can be seen from about 2 million in 1830 to less than one million in 1871.

The majority of hedge schoolmasters and his successors were looked up to in the local community for apart from teaching the local children he wrote letters for their parents, made wills, supplied advice on legal and other matters, arbitrated in disputes and generally occupied an important role. He taught the children their religion and organised the local choir and acted as master of ceremonies at dances and concerts. Next to the local landlord, the minister and the priest he was the most important local personage. In essence he was by far the more approachable of the four and his influence was often as powerful as any of them. A favourite pastime of the locals after church was to stand around in hearing distance of the teachers as they discussed the news of the day at the same time giving a virtuoso performance of the English language full of big words and florid sentences.

Much has been said of the hedge schoolmaster’s shortcomings. It is alleged, often with truth, that he was fond of drink to excesses, he was harsh with his pupils, his attainments were little or nothing, that he was nearly as ignorant as his own scholars, that he spread disaffection to constituted authority especially that of the landlord and sometimes also that of the priest or minister, his morals were questionable and he was the centre of rustic iniquity according to many. Most of these failings/sins were widespread in any local community but always apparently more worth of note in the schoolteacher than the rest of the local population. One writer described the hedge schools as “receptacles of rags and penury, in which a semi-barbarous peasantry acquired the rudiments of reading, writing, Irish History and High Treason.”

In 1872 a system of Payment by Results was introduced partly to increase the meager pay of teachers and partly to increase their efficiency. The Commissioners of Education were well aware of the  fact that most teachers were not making a living wage but said they had no objection to teachers having other jobs so long as they taught school during the prescribed hours. This meant that many teachers farmed, ran shops, took private pupils, surveyed land or even mended watches to increase their income. Poor pay was one of their main grievances but others included the power of arbitrary dismissal by the local manager generally the local priest or minister, the lack of any system of pensions and the difficulty of getting accommodation close to the school they taught in. Payment by Results had been brought into English Education ten years earlier by Robert Lowe, the vice-president of the Committee of Council on Education. This “enlightened” individual declared that if elementary education was not efficient, it would at least be cheap and that if it was not cheap, it would be efficient. Then as now much of education was ruled by people who knew very little about it at a practical level.

Catholic controlled primary education in Fermanagh began with the purchase of a former mill near the East Bridge. The building was converted to a primary school and Dean Boylan invited Mother Mary Joseph Jones the Superior of the Convent of Mercy in Sligo to open a branch house in Enniskillen. She brought five Sisters of Mercy with her and in June 1856 under the Commissioners of Education in Dublin opened the school. By December 1856 the roll call was 382. This development was welcomed by the Impartial Reporter 12th June 1856. “In the beginning of the week a female school was opened in the building at the East Bridge known as ‘the nunnery’. It is under six ladies of the Order of Mercy and already numbers more than 200 girls. To collect the wanderers of the back streets and give them any amount of education and moral training that may tend to preserve them from the dangers of a garrison town is an enterprise that we are sure Christians of all denominations and shades of opinion will regard with respect and good wishes. If a truly religious feeling be imparted and morality in after life assured, the children and parents of children will have cause to rejoice.”

Secondary education for girls was still some years away.The Christian Brothers had a secondary school at the East Bridge for boys in the 1870s and after they left the town there were several attempts to set up another Catholic boys’ secondary school. St. Michael’s Intermediate School was opened in 1903 under the Presentation Brothers. There were very few local Catholic boys at Portora at this time. It is also thought that the numbers of Catholics at Portora in the pre-1860 period (i.e. before the date of the earliest surviving Portora roll books) is sometimes exaggerated because people assume that if someone from Enniskillen went to Maynooth or another university at that time that they must have gone to Portora as it was the only secondary school in town.Of course many of the private schools educated people for university exams, as indeed did the primary schools, as can be seen from William Carleton’s works. Seamas McCanny (to whom I am indebted for this information on Enniskillen schools) in his article in the Spark some years ago traced a number of Simon Macken’s pupils (mostly Protestants) to Trinity College.

The early promoters of education in Fermanagh, echoed indeed by the words of the Impartial Reporter above, as elsewhere in Ireland, were mainly interested in promoting moral and religious improvement. The government eventually provided money but the big religious groups largely cornered this public finance to promote their own interests. There is a great stream of condescension running through early education and even up to the present day. In it is the assumption of social and religious groups that they know best for their assumed social and religious inferiors. Nobody asks the poor lest they be disabused of their assumptions. The Rev. William Foster, curate of Monea, writes in 1816 that every parent that is able sends their children to school but he adds, “The children of the poor, who have not clothes to go to school, remain at home uninstructed and unemployed; and when they come to such an age, as to be able to assist their parents, they are generally sent to labour.” It has ever been thus.

[i] The Social Content of Education 1808-1870 – A Study of the Working Class School Reader in England and Ireland. J. M. Goldstrom Irish University Press p 11

[ii] An Encyclopaedia of Irish Schools 1500-1800 by Robert E. Ward. Mellon Studies in Education Vol. 25. The Edwin Mellen Press Lewiston/Queenston/Lampeter. p170.

[iii] Ibid from chronology of Irish Schools p22.

[iv] Clogher Record 1968 James Murphy, Bishop of Clogher, 1801-24 by Revd. Seosamh O Dufaigh, M.A. pp 452/3.

[v] Ibid Andrew Cox of Clontibret talking in the 1890s Clogher Record 1968 p 422.

vi Ibid Clogher Record 1968 p 453.

 [vii] The Printed Word and the Common Man – Popular Culture in Ulster 1700-1900 J.R.R. Adams. Institute of Irish Studies 1987 pp 14-15

[viii] William Magee, A Sermon preached before the Association for Discountenancing Vice (Dublin, 1796), pp 71-2. The method of dispersal of these Tracts was to be through the gentry and clergy and from them to shopkeepers, peddlers and hawkers for sale.

[ix] Op cit. The Printed Word and the Common Man pp 52-53.

[x] To School Without Shoes” by Helen Clayton. A Brief history of the Sunday School Society for Ireland 1809-1927.

[xi] Ibid p17.

[xii] Ibid p19.

[xiii] Ibid p23 1825 Report.

[xiv] Op cit The Social Content of Education 1808-1870 p 109.

[xv] The Development of the National School System, 1831-40 by Mary Daly pp 153-4.

 [xvi] Report of the House of Lord’s Committee to inquire into the practical working of the system of National Education in Ireland, p474, 1854, (525), XV, part 1, 1

xv11 Op cit, The Social Content of Education 1808-1870 p ?

[xvii] Glassford. Tours in Ireland p 66.

Xviii Op cit, The Social Content of Education p109.