1911. Donegal Vindicator. Lough Derg, two doctors and Peter McGuinness.

Donegal Vindicator. 8th September 1911. LARGEST PILGRIMAGE FOR MANY YEARS. Not since the year of the Irish famine of 1846-47 has there been such a number of pilgrims to visit Lough Derg. For many years past there has been a steady increase of persons visiting this retreat, but this year the number has exceeded that of any previous year. Previous to the day of closing there were no fewer than one thousand persons on the island. The Very Rev Prior, Canon Keown, Enniskillen, speaking on the increase this year, which exceeded all others, said it afforded him much pleasure to see such large numbers visiting Lough Derg and performing its exemplary penance at a time when ‘materialism and infidelity’ were over-running so many other lands—a proof that the faith of St Patrick was still flourishing in Erin. All classes, he said, from the members of Parliament down to the humblest peasant, visited Lough Derg and underwent its austerities. It was, he said, particularly gratifying to notice the spirit of social equality that pervaded the ranks of the pilgrims—a spirit that existed nowhere else outside of Lough Derg, There was a general levelling up and down, and all met on the same footing, and at the same scanty hoard of plain bread and black tea once a day, and mingled together in the church, that was beautiful and edifying to see. He advised pilgrims to come out earlier in the season in future, to avoid the discomfort attendant on such large crowds as had been there for the past few days. He said he hoped next year to be able to improve on the voucher system for obtaining reduced railway fares.

Donegal Vindicator. 11th August 1911. Sir Arthur Chance and Dr Rutherford held a consultation yesterday morning regarding Dr O’Flynn, who was so seriously injured in a motor-bicycle accident on Monday. As a result, a further trephining operation was successfully performed, and a large clot of blood removed from the brain. The patient rallied slightly, but in the afternoon he relapsed into unconsciousness.

DEATH OF DR O’FLYNN. Dr Bernard Andrew O’Flynn, Manorhamilton, who was the victim of a motor bicycle accident on Monday, last, has succumbed to his injuries. The operation performed by Sir Arthur Chance on Tuesday gave considerable relief to the patient, who recovered partial consciousness, but he soon relapsed into a state of coma, in which he remained except for momentary rallies, until death subvened at 9 o’clock on Thursday evening. Dr Rutherford was in constant attendance until the last. The deepest sympathy is felt by all classes for his widow and young family.

Donegal Vindicator. 15th December 1911. EDUCATION IN BALLYSHANNON.

We understand that the petitions of the inhabitants of Ballyshannon in favour of the introduction of an order of Teaching Brothers has been so far successful that it is now practically certain that the Brothers De, la, Salle will be installed within the next few months, The Provincial of the Order, Brother Kiernan from Waterford, accompanied by Brother Joseph, Superior at Castlebar, visited Ballyshannon and inspected the town and district, the result being that they have decided to accept responsibility for the educational future of the town. We learn that for the present the existing buildings will suffice but in all probability it will be necessary to provide in the near future for an extension and the erection of an educational establishment on a very much extended scale.                                               ‘

Donegal Vindicator. 11th August  1911. BELLEEK FAIR. The August fair in Belleek is generally recognised by producers and purchasers as an index of the probably current prices for the real season of the cattle trade beginning in September This year owing to many circumstances, including Strikes, weather, etc., the fair was not no well attended by cross channel buyers, besides haymaking being in progress the supply was remarkably shorter than usual. The general report of the market is that demand unless for local exchanges, especially to County Leitrim, was slow. Quotations— ; Calves, £3 10s to £5 15s: year-olds, £5 to £7; two-year-olds, £10 to £12 springers, £12 to £17; sheep (wethers) 18s to 25s; bonbams, 25s each. Beef and mutton absent.

Donegal Vindicator. 11th August  1911. GALLANT RESCUE BY DR KELLY, BELLEEK. Dr Kelly, dispensary doctor, Belleek was the hero of a very plucky action the other day. It appears that a boy named Donagher, about five or six years old fell into the water above the lade near Belleek Creamery. An old man caught him but was unable to bring him ashore and ultimately he was compelled to lose his hold and the child was carried down through the salmon leap, and through the bridge into the rapid river below, where the water runs at a terrific speed. Dr. Kelly, who was in the vicinity hearing the cries, ran to the spot and plunging in, caught the boy and brought him ashore, where it was found that beyond the fright he had not suffered much. The speed of the torrent had kept him from sinking. One would require to see the place and the turmoil of the water before being able to realise the heroism of Dr Kelly in plunging in clothes and all.

Donegal Vindicator. 8th September 1911. THE INVASION OF BALLYSHANNON.

Air—‘Scot’s Wha’ Hae.’

In the month of July, 1597, Sir Conyers Clifford, Governor of Connaught, aided by O’Brien of Thomond, Burke of Clanrikarde, O’Brien, Baron of Inchiquin, O’Connor, Sligo, and others invaded Ballyshannon with an immense army of horse and foot also with a maritime force sent from Galway, and after crossing the Erne, and sailing up from the sea invested Ballyshannon, besieged the castle of the O’Donnell, and occupied the Abbey of Assaroe. After a siege of several, days they were defeated in a pitched battle, the invading force repulsed and pursued by the forces of the O’Donnell over the plain of the Moy and many slain. The following ode is supposed to be composed on the occasion and sung to the harp by Owen Row McWard, the bard of the O’Donnells.

Lord Clifford rose, O’Donnell’s foe,

Resolved to conquer Assaroe,

And march where Erne’s waters flow,

Tyrconnell to subdue.

As clouds roll onward with the wind,

With lightning flash and force combined,

He moved along, on death inclined,

To lay the hosts of Hugh.

 

From Thomond, where the Shannon.flows

O’Brien came with warrior foes,

The Burkes of Galway martial rose,

To aid Lord Clifford then.

O’Connor Sligo, rose in might.

Arranged his forces for the fight,

And helped to swell that dreadful sight

Of many warlike men.

 

Then shaking earth and piercing sky

With tramp and shout and battle cry,

They raised their martial standard high

And crossed the River Erne—

Resolved Tyrconnell to enslave,

They sent their ships across the wave

Containing many a warrior brave

And Galloglass and Kerne.

 

At shore and fosse and tower and gate

We met that martial foe elate,

And blow for blow and hate for hate

Imparted to the crew.

Until the invaders rued the day

With hostile force they came away

Resolved in ruin black to lay

The ancient town of Hugh.

 

But down they fell as falls the rain,

Upon Moy Ceitua’s ancient plain—

They’ll never come with boasts again

Tyrconnell to subdue

Lord Clifford and his chieftains fled

Ignobly with the hosts they led,

Their choicest warriors lying dead

Upon the land of Hugh.

 

Then raise the song and strike the lyre

With fingers bold and soul of fire,

And lift your voices high—yet higher

Unto the sky of blue,

With martial flame and loud acclaim

We’ll ever sing O’Donnell’s name.

A conqueror: to us he came

The valiant son of Hugh!

  1. McGENNIS.

(+) From an unpublished novel of the author’s, ’Red Hugh O’Donnell last Prince of Tyrconell.

(+) In crossing the river O’Brien, Baron of Inchiquin was drowned. Peter Magennis (1817 – 1910)

Peter Magennis was born in County Fermanagh and became a National School teacher. The Ribbon Informer, 1874, was among his most successful novels, and he also wrote poetry. He was known as the bard of Knockmore. Born:            1817 Died: 1910.

Seamas McAnaidh writes – Eoghan Rua Mac an Bhaird 1570-1630 was from Killbarron, married Maire Ni Chleirigh; was bard of O’Donnell and took part in the Flight of the Earls in 1607. Two of his sons were Franciscans, Aodh Bui was guardian of St. Anthony’s College, Louvain and Fearghal Og was hanged in Ireland in 1642. I suspect this ‘translation’ is an original work by Magennis.

3rd March 1911. A football match was played in the Erne Park on Sunday last, between a team representing Belleek and Ballyshannon Ernes, and resulted in a draw of two goals each. Mr J. Kane was referee.

There was a nice rumpus at Fermanagh County Council, over the new roads in Belleek district. In the end the decisions of the District Council and of last meeting of the County Council were rescinded. Notice of motion to once more rescind was handed in by Mr Leonard, so that we may expect lively times.

Kinlough is to have a system of sewerage and Mr O’Brian, who is at present architect for the scheme of Labourers’ Cottages, was, on Saturday, selected as engineer by the District. Council.

The coming Census is going to make things hum in Bundoran. If half we hear be true, then it will be a plaoe worth living in at the end of March. The decision to become a Rural District within the meaning of the Act, will, it is stated, be responsible for much hospitality.

An interesting Hurling match was played on Sunday last in the Rook Enclosure between Ballyshannon Aodh Ruadh (junr.) and Ballinacarrick Faugh-a-Ballagh’s, and resulted in a win for Aodh Ruadh.

Mr Augustine Roche was selected at the United Irish League Convention in Dundalk on Monday. It is anticipated that Mr T. M Healy will again contest the Division,

Sergeant John Gardiner, R.I.C., stationed in Ballyshannon, and Inspector of Weights and Measures, leaves tomorrow (Saturday) to take charge of Newtowncunningham Station in this County. During his stay here—-scarcely two years—he carried out his duties in a most impartial and straightforward manner, being held in much esteem by the people of Ballyshannon and district. He carries with him best wishes for his future prosperity.

The Innishowen salmon fishermen have won their case in the Court of Appeal, and it only now remains for the Irish Society to take them to the House of Lords, which may happen. The decision involves very great interests outside of the district directly concerned, in fact, the whole coast line of Ireland will be affected. Let us hope the Irish Society will be advised to allow the matter to drop. If they do not it will certainly look as if they were relying upon the poverty of the fishermen being unable to provide funds for an expensive Appeal before the House of Lords,

3rd March 1911. BALLYSHANNON .LACE CLASS. ANNUAL CONCERT. The Ballyshannon Lace Class Concert has now become an annual event, and one which is looked forward to with eagerness, not only by the members of the Class, but by the general public, as being an assured artistic and musical treat in every sense, This year’s Concert maintained, if indeed it did not surpass, the usual standard of excellence. Once more the services of Miss Gabrielle O’Doherty, Strabane, had been secured, and those who heard her on her first visit to Ballyshannon were most anxious to enjoy that pleasure once more, and those who did not hear her were present this time in large numbers, and, as a consequence, the Rock Hall was well filled on Monday evening when the programme commenced. The first item was a solo by Mr William McCusker, Enniskillen, who is the possessor of. a powerful baritone, which was well suited to the songs selected, ‘The Outlaw’ and ‘ The Diver.’ An enthusiastic encore was accorded him, and he responded with ‘In Happy Moments,’ and ‘Beautiful Isle of the Sea.’ Miss Dora McCafferty’s rendering of ‘The Last Milestone’ was well worth hearing, and in response to an undeniable recall she gave ‘ The …….

Donegal Vindicator. 10th February 1911. DEATH OF MR JOHN J. GAVIGAN, U.SA. TOUCHING REFERENCES AND RESOLUTIONS.

We learn with deep regret, of the death in Trenton, U.S.A., of Mr John J. Gavigan, brother of Mr James Gavigan, Belleek Pottery. The American newspapers contain lengthened references to his death, and the loss sustained by the various organisations with which he was connected. We tender our sympathy to his bereaved family and relatives.

The Daily State Gazette’ writes John J. Gavigan, one of the best known potters in the United States, died abont  2 ’clock yesterday morning after an illness extending for more than a year. He lived at 200 Reservoir Street. He was taken ill with insomnia, and serious nervous troubles followed. Then he contracted rheumatism, and one ailment aggravated the other until he became very bad. Mr Gavigan resigned his position as superintendent of the Hallmark pottery about a year ago, since that time he had been confined to his room.

Mr Gavigan was one of the oldest potters in the country. When a boy he started work in the famous potteries at Belleek, Ireland, and learned his trade there. He was a skilled mechanic, and soon learned to master every detail of the pottery business. He became one of the best informed men in the country on matters pertaining to the pottery industry. Many sought his advice when they became puzzled over questions of the trade. He came in contact with all the leading pottery, supply houses in this country.

When a young man Mr Gavigan came to this country, and twenty six years ago he secured a position in the old Delaware pottery, on Prospect Street. The pottery was built by the Olipliants, who afterwards got control of the Bellmark pottery, and Mr Gavigan was made superintendent of the plant. By hard work he raised the pottery trade to the highest standard.,

The deceased leaves two sons—John, Jun, who is assistant superintendent of the Bellmark pottery, and Joseph a bookkeeper at the Mechanics National Bank. Mr Gavigan was a prominent member of the Ancient Order of Hibernians. Besides holding several local offices, ha was state president of the organisation for some time. He was a deep thinker and reader, and was known as a man of great wit. No matter how busy he was, he always had time to tell a humorous story and joke, and was pleased to entertain his friends. Ha was known for his oratorical ability, and won many friends by his kind disposition. Treasurer Oliphant and General Manager Gilkyson of the Bellmark Pottery, said last night that Mr Gavigan’s death would be keenly felt in the pottery world and in other business circles.

Mr Gavigan was a member of Division No 1 A.O.H., St. Patrick’s Alliance, Branch No 1 District No 7; Trenton Council No 355, Knights of Columbus; Mercer County Board, AO.H., and the Holy Name Society of St. Mary’s Cathedral. The funeral will take place from his late home, 200 Reservoir Street, on Wednesday morning at 8 o’clock. Solemn requiem High Mass will be celebrated at the Cathedral at 9 o’clock. The interment will be in St. Mary’s Cemetery.

Donegal Vindicator. 9th June 1911. DEATH. McDermott – At the Workhouse Infirmary, Ballyshannon on Friday 9th June, Terence McDermott. R.I.P.

Donegal Vindicator. 9th June 1911. This hot weather in not a season for figures, but even at the risk of injuring some splendid intellects we direct attention to an excellent exposure of the Irish deficit bogey which has been so extensively worked by the English press. Every Irishman should make himself up in the figures for which we are indebted to our contemporary ‘ The Irish Homestead’—

Our readers will all remember, for a year has hardly elapsed since a Treasury paper was issued pointing out that the local expenditure in excess of revenue in Ireland was £2,357,000 for the financial year ended 31st March, 1910. What a roar went up ! We were assured on all sides that we were living on charity, which was very ungenerous, because our English friends had been assisted by our charity for a hundred years, and had many times received from us a yearly contribution to their expenses far greater in amount than this supposed first contribution of theirs to our national expenditure. For example, in 1819 our contribution to England to help it to govern itself was £3,691,684; in 1829 it was £4,150,575 ; in 1839 it was £3,626,322 ; in 1849 it was £2,613,773; in 1859 it was £5,396,000; in 1869 it was £4,488,210; in 1879 it was £3,226,307; and in 1889 it was £2,684,694. So from these figures, figures supplied by the Treasury itself, it can be learned what average aid we gave the sister island during a century, and we were hardly prepared for the roar of exultant superiority which came from the throats of English journalists when for one year it appeared as if we were living on English charity and the more usual alternative practice was discontinued. But those who shouted loudest about the depraved pauper condition of Ireland run at a loss of £2,357,000 overlooked the fact that England itself had a deficit in the same year of £26,248,110, and if our condition was bad theirs was much worse. This was ignored, and the attitude of those who so suddenly turned and patronised us reminded us of nothing so much as an incident which occurred to the present writer, who once clubbed with a friend. and one evening the friend, who had boiled two eggs, dropped one of them, and said calmly “See, I have dropped your egg.”

It was the Irish financial egg that was dropped in 1910, and nothing at all was said about the rights of the case or the blame for dropping. Of course in that particular year the finance of both countries was disturbed by the failure of Lloyd George, to carry his famous Budget, and there were uncollected arrears of taxation both in England and Ireland—in Ireland these arrears amounted to almost one million pounds. They have been collected since. The money was there safe, but we were assured in spite of that that as a nation we were financially down at heels, and we ought to be ashamed of ourselves. But in reality, it was the English egg if any which was dropped.

Our congratulations to Dr F W Condon, F R C S I, on his appointment as Medical Officer to the County Donegal Railway’s joint committee, and also to the representatives of the Admiralty in Ballyshannon.

In a petition to the Local Government Board it is stated that there is not one vacant house in Carrickmacross. Happy landlords!

On Tuesday last, a man named McGuinness, a carpenter, residing at Bundoran, died suddenly from heart disease. Deceased who was very popular, leaves a wife and family, for whom the deepest sympathy is felt. The funeral took place on Thursday.

The Brass and Reed Band competitions at Derry Feis take place to-morrow (Saturday). Where is Ballyshannon Brass Band? Only yesterday and our Brass Band might have stood against any, now where is it? We invite a reply. It required a great and steady effort to have a band worthy of the town, and the members owe it to themselves to give an explanation of the reason for the collapse. A little plain speaking may clear the atmosphere—let us have it.

Very Rev Canon Keown, P. P., V G Enniskillen, blessed the foundation stone of a new hospice in Lough Derg last week, under the patronage of St Patrick and the Blessed Virgin Mary, It is intended for the exclusive use of women pilgrims, and will accommodate considerably over 200. The existing hospice will be entirely set apart for men in future. The building was designed by Mr W. A. Scott, architect, Dublin, and is of the most modern type. It is being built, of iron and concrete, and will be fireproof. The contractor, Mr Connolly, of Dublin is proceeding rapidly with the work, and hopes to have the increased accommodation available for this season’s pilgrimage, His foreman Mr Mulligan, and Mr Stell, who represents the company supplying the iron materials, courteously assisted Canon Known and Rev. Father Gormley, C. C., in the work of laying the foundation stone.

Donegal Vindicator. 3rd February 1911. CAPTAIN COLLUM DEAD. KILLED BY THE ELECTION. All over Co., Fermanagh universal regret was felt on Saturday when it became known that Captain A. P. T. Collum, J P, D L, had died at his residence, Bellevue, Enniskillen. The deceased gentleman, it will be remembered, unsuccessfully contested North Fermanagh in the Liberal interest at the General Election last month. For over a year past he had been indelicate health, and the anxiety and worry entailed in fighting a contested Parliamentary election told seriously against his reserve of strength, with the result that immediately after it was over he took seriously ill, and from the first but little hope was entertained of his ultimate recovery.

A son of the late Captain William Collum, Bellevue, he inherited a very considerable property in the county, on the death of his father including house property in the town of Enniskillen. He was a kind and indigent landlord, and none will more sincerely mourn his death than his tenants. He was born at Bellevue in 1866, and was educated at Cheltenham and St John’s College, Cambridge.

For some time he was Captain in the 3rd Batt Royal Irish Fusiliers, and was also a member of the Irish Bar. He disposed of his agricultural land to his tenants under the c1903 Act, but retained in his possession the demesne grounds at Bellevue, comprising some 600 acres. On two occasions he filled the office of High Sheriff of Co Fermanagh.

Advertisements

Writings of John B. Cunningham

The Books of John B. Cunningham M.A.

 Born in Ballyshannon in the Coast Guard Cottages, under the care of Nurse Hart, eldest son of Brian Cunningham N.T. a native of Donaghmoyne, Co., Monaghan and Mae Eves, Ederney. Attended Lettercran N.S., near Pettigo where he was taught by his father who was headmaster and Mrs Margaret Mc Ginley, famous musician and mother of Sean Mc Ginley, noted actor in Braveheart, The Field etc.. Attended St. Michael’s College, Enniskillen and St. Joseph’s Training College, Belfast and became a school teacher. Retired as Headmaster of St. Davog’s P.S. Belleek in 1996 to write, lecture and work as a genealogist and tour guide. He is married to Ann Monaghan, Pettigo and they have four children, Sonya, Brian, Joanne and John. His first printed article appeared in the Donegal Magazine produced by the Donegal Democrat in 1977. This was an article on Castle Caldwell. He has numerous articles in historical journals such as the Donegal Annual, Clogher Record, The Spark, Ulster Local Studies, Familia, Irish Sword, Computer Education, Queen’s University Teachers’ Centre History Journal, Ulster Genealogical and Historical Guild, The Septs, etc. This list of books does not include books contributed to or books largely edited and produced by John Cunningham. A great number are out of print but may be soon available on CD. Contact the author at Commons, Belleek Co., Fermanagh, N. Ireland BT93 3EF Phone 02868658327 or 07855325693. Many of the books are for sale on the internet  http://erneheritagetours.com/

1980. Castle Caldwell and Its Families by John Cunningham. A 210 page book dealing with the Belleek area with an extensive Irish and Scottish Caldwell genealogy. Detailed history of the Belleek area from c1600 to c1900. A5. Illustrated.

1984. Lough Derg – Legendary Pilgrimage by John Cunningham (The Story of a 1000 year old pilgrimage) A5 102 pages. Illustrated.

1989. Mysterious Boa Island – A study of the history and culture of the largest island inside Ireland. Illustrated.

1992. The Story of Belleek by John Cunningham (A history of Belleek Pottery, County Fermanagh – Ireland’s oldest and largest pottery.) A4 80 pages. Illustrated.

1993. The Letters of John O’ Donovan from Fermanagh in 1834 by John Cunningham (A unique glimpse into pre-Famine Ireland now only available on CD.) Illustrated.

1996. Florence Court – Home of the Earls of Enniskillen. A Resource Book for Teachers. Illustrated.

1996. A History of Belleek Fire Brigade “F” Division.

1998. Around Ballyshannon, Bundoran and Belleek – The Archive Photograph Series book. paperback, 128 pages. This collection of over 200 old photographs covers the towns of Ballyshannon, Bundoran and Belleek, focussing on the section of the River Erne between Belleek and the sea. It extends over nearly 150 years of photographic history, during which an enormous number of changes have taken place.

1999. Castle Coole – A Resource Book for Teachers. Illustrated.

2000. The Best Years of Your Life? – A history of the schools of the Belleek area. (A 222 page A4 book with histories of 17 schools, numerous photographs and over 700 years of roll books.) Illustrated.

2000. Monasteries and Early Church Sites of the River Erne by John Cunningham (Over 1000 years of monastic and church history in Fermanagh, Cavan, Monaghan and Donegal.) Illustrated.

2002. Oscar Wilde’s Enniskillen by John Cunningham (Enniskillen and Fermanagh of 1864-1871, Oscar Wilde’s formative years at school in Fermanagh. A social history of Fermanagh of this period as drawn from the local newspapers.  A4 80 pages. Illustrated.

2003. Above rebound as Fermanagh in Victorian Times – Stories and scandals from Victorian Fermanagh. A4 80 pages. Illustrated.

2002. Enniskillen – A Walking Tour by John Cunningham, Rosalind Mc Conkey and Catherine Robinson. (A very detailed 80 page guide to Fermanagh’s county town which is steeped in history) Illustrated.

2002. Pettigo and its People including a history of the Clan Mc Grath by John Cunningham. A4 112 pages. Illustrated.

2003. Pettigo Schools Reunion 1953-2003 by John Cunningham (Available as a downloadable PDF file) Illustrated.

2003. Roisin’s Life and Times around Broomfield, Lisdoonan, Donaghmoyne and Carrickmacross by Roisin Cunningham (A long life in 20th Century Monaghan) Edited by John Cunningham for his Aunt Roisin née Gartland. Illustrated. Roisin has recently celebrated her 90th birthday 2011.

2003. The Way We Were in Fermanagh in the 1950s. An overview of Fermanagh in the 1950s from the local newspapers. Illustrated.

2004. From Ballyjamesduff to Ballyshannon – A Guide to the River Erne. (John Cunningham and Vicky Herbert.) A4 120 pages. Illustrated.

2004. The Way We Were in Fermanagh in the 1960s. An overview of Fermanagh in the 1960s from the local newspapers. A4, 108 pages. Illustrated.

2005. Pettigo Up Against It – A History of Pettigo Gaelic Athletic Association. 200 pages. A sporting and social history of Pettigo, Co., Donegal. Illustrated.

2005. Tales from the Banks of the Erne – The life stories of people who lived around the Erne in the 20th century. A5 74 pages. Illustrated.

2006. The Way we were in Fermanagh in World War 11 and the 1940s. The Golden Age of Smuggling. 222pp. Illustrated.

2006. The Pettigo History Trail. Illustrated. A guide to the history and heritage of the Pettigo area of Co., Donegal.

2007. The Fermanagh Miscellany. (Article entitled “Joseph Maguire c1879 -1965 and a Hidden Genre of Fermanagh Literature in newspapers.”)

2007. Fermanagh In Sight. NW Fermanagh – A pictorial guide to the area. (Gail Mc Gowan (Photographer) and John B. Cunningham). 48 pages.

2008. The School Behind the Yew Trees – A History of Trillick County Primary School, Co., Tyrone. 92 pages, A4. Illustrated.

2008. Fermanagh In Sight. S.W. Fermanagh – A pictorial guide to the area of the Fermanagh Highlands. (Gail Mc Gowan (Photographer) and John B. Cunningham). 48 pages.

2008. The Fermanagh Miscellany No. 2. (Articles entitled: “Tracking down St. Molaise” and ” Fermanagh Winners of the Victoria Cross.”)

2009. A History of Belleek Church of Ireland. 23 pages. A second edition in 2010 enlarged and including the first ever Belleek Church Flower Festival. 28 pages ring bound.

2009. Fermanagh In Sight. Enniskillen the Island Town – A pictorial guide to the area. (Gail Mc Gowan (Photographer) and John B. Cunningham). 58 pages.

2009. A History of Belleek Church of Ireland. (Revised and enlarged. Second Edition.)

2009. The Fermanagh Miscellany 2009. Edited by Dianne Trimble and John Cunningham (Articles entitled: “Dinny and Maggie’s Caeling House”, “The Florencecourt Yew Tree”, “Richard Cassells, Architect” “John White, Surgeon General to the first Fleet to Australia.”)

2009. All Our Yesterdays – Kesh School and the past schools of the Parishes of Drumkeeran and Magheraculmoney. It contains more than 900 years of roll books from a dozen schools. In addition to reminiscences from former pupils there are about 250 pictures and illustrations plus accounts of the numerous schools that once existed in this area; in fact over thirty schools with a mention of Sunday Schools of the region as far back as the 1820s. The book contains c10,000 names and has 264 pages.

Contributed articles to the following books/journals.

1983. The Queen’s University History Journal Volume 2. History in the Primary School – The way forward. by John Cunningham and Richard McMinn.

1988. Belleek Community and Visitor’s Guide. Belleek a short village history.

1996. Workhouses of the North West  ed. Jack Johnston  (WEA People’s History 1996). Lowtherstown (Irvinestown) Workhouse.

1997. The Famine in Ulster – Ed Christine Kinealy and Trevor Parkhill. The Famine in County Fermanagh.

1999. Lettercran – An illustrious past, an uncertain future. Ed. James Hilley. A rural industry in west Ulster – Stonecutting.

2004. The Heart’s Townland – marking boundaries in Ulster. Ed. Dr. Brian Turner. The Graveyard Shift – reading boundaries in a graveyard.

2006. Migration and Myth – Ulster’s Revolving Door. Ed. Brian S. Turner. The lost English Plantation of County Fermanagh.

Articles in the Clogher Record Historical Journal and classification.

 1999 – The Blennerhassetts of Kesh – Blennerhassett Family, Kesh, (Estates (Fermanagh), Genealogy)

1993 – Dr Lombe Atthill and his picture of Fermanagh before the Famine. (Famine, Fermanagh, Kesh, Ardess, Atthill, Biography)

1992 – The conflict surrounding the drainage of the River Erne 1881-1890. (Transport, Lough Erne, Fermanagh, Communications)

1990 – The investigation into the attempted assassination of Folliot Warren Barton near Pettigo. (Barton Family, Pettigo, Estates (Donegal), Crime)

1989 – The landlord, the minister, the tenant and the tithe in Belleek in 1758, Belleek, Caldwell. (Belleek, Estates (Fermanagh), Landlords, Tithes)

1988 – The Loan Fund scandals. (Banking, Crime)

1987 – The Castle Caldwell estate in 1780 and the recent arrest of the highwayman Francis McHugh. (Belleek, Caldwell. (Belleek, Estates (Fermanagh), Landlords, Tithes, Crime)

1983 – William Starrat, surveyor-philomath. (A survey of estates in Fermanagh and Donegal in the early 1700s)

1981 – John Caldwell Calhoun: Vice president of the USA. John B. Cunningham & M.A.Whalley. (Genealogy)

1981 – Lough Derg and its unusual ‘guardian’, Rev. Alexander Calhoun. J. B. Cunningham and M. Whalley. (Religion, Donegal, Pilgrimages.)

DONEGAL ANNUAL

1978The Role Of The Caldwell Family In The Williamite  Defence Of The Erne And Donegal

1980 – Sir James Caldwell and the Lives of Half-hanged McNaughton.

1981 – William Connolly’s Ballyshannon Estate, 1718-1726

1982 – The Struggle for the Belleek-Pettigo Salient, 1922.

1983 – The Ballyshannon Herald, 1845-1850.

1988 – Ballyshannon and Environs, 1803.

1989 – Carne Graveyard, Pettigo, Co., Donegal. Rev. P. Ó Gallchóir, P Slevin & J. B. Cunningham

1990 – A Ballyshannon emigrant’s letter and Lifford Jail1990.

1994 – Old Graveyards and Irregular Burials near Pettigo, Co., Donegal.

1996 – Belleek, Ballyshannon and Pettigo in the 1790s.

1998 – John Kells Ingram writer of “Who fears to speak of ’98.”

1999 – A Rural Industry in West Ulster – Stonecutting in SW Donegal and adjoining Tyrone.

2000  – The Port of Ballyshannon.

The Septs – Irish Genealogical Society International publication.

2008. Reasons for Irish Emigration.

2009. July Vol.30 No.3 Dinny and Maggie’s Caeling House.

 Ancestral Trails – The newsletter of the Cassidy Clan.

1999 Autumn. How Emigration changed Ireland: the impact of Emigration.

Computer Education February 1992.

Studying the Irish Famine using computers and Electronic Mail – Electronic Mail in the context of Education for Mutual Understanding (E.M.U.)

The Spark. A publication of the Workers’ Educational Association.

1992. The story of Belleek Pottery.

1994. Prionsias Dubh the Highwayman, otherwise Black Frank Mc Hugh.

1994. Some Fermanagh influence on Early Canada Henry Caldwell in Quebec.

1995. The Vaughan Charitable Charter School – Tubrid and its Punishment Book c1848-1866.

 Ulster Genealogical and Historical Guild Newsletter Volume 1 No. 8.

1979. Emigrant Memories of Belleek.

1982. The Emigrant Children of the Vaughan Charitable Charter School, Kesh, Co., Fermanagh.

 Familia – Ulster Genealogical and Historical Guild.

1994. Volume 2 No 10 1994. The Caldwells of Quebec p88 – p114.

Ulster Folklife.

1994. Arney Brick and Florencecourt Tile, Brick and Pottery Works, Vol. 40 (1994).

1998. (With Joe O’Loughlin) O’Loughlin’s Bicycle Shop, Belleek, Co., Fermanagh and the coming of the bicycle. Vol. 44 (1998).

2000. Fermanagh’s Tapestry Industry. Vol. 46, (2000). Also The Bogle Bush, Ederney, Co., Fermanagh.”

2001. Not exactly Isaac Walton – using an otter and illegal means of fishing.