May 1898. From year to year it is remarked that Bundoran is improving. This long straggling village of one continuous street, extending over a mile in length along a country road by the seaside is without any government of its own – no Council to look after its byways, thoroughfares, other sanitary arrangements and it remains for private efforts and private association of residents to do any little that can be done without the aid of legislative powers. The Ballyshannon Board of Guardians are supposed to exercise supervision in sanitary matters, but, practically, they do nothing. The Sanitary Act with them is almost a dead letter; but somehow after years of patience and labour they have managed to get portion of the water works constructed and next year may hope to see a water supply in Bundoran.
One of the surprises of Bundoran has been the great success of the Highlands Hotel. When its walls were only a few feet high people shook their heads over a scheme which could not pay, and would not attract any money and the house which would remain empty. We cannot say that the shareholders have yet received their five per cent but the hotel was not long in existence when it became so crowded that an additional wing and an extension of the dining accommodation became necessary. Mr. Sixt the courteous and enterprising manager had the knack of sending his guests away with the desire to return and thus it is that even now with the additional accommodation he is obliged the times to refuse guess. His resources no doubt are many for when the bedrooms are all full the billiard room, lounge, his own office and other resorts are made available and for instance it was by such a expedients that he was able on last Saturday and Sunday to house 71 people while its sleeping accommodation was only for 58.
July 28th 1898. JUDGES OF WHISKEY. According to Saturday’s Surrey Mirror certain members of the Reigate Board of Guardians were not satisfied with the whiskey provided with their lunch. At the last meeting Rev. E.M. Gibson, of Charlwood called the Lunch Committee’s attention to the fact that the whiskey was very bad indeed. He hoped the Master would provide them with decent whiskey; no man with any self-respect would drink what was at present supplied. (Laughter.)
The Chairman Rev. H. J. Greenhill remarked that whiskey was supplied to them by a highly respected merchant and cost of 49 shillings per dozen. Rev. E. M. Gibson – It is raw, crude oil, and is not worth 15 shillings a gallon. The Vice Chairman – I quite agree with Mr. Gibson – it is not fit to drink. Major Kingsley O Foster said he only tasted the whisky once and he thought it was the most filthy whiskey he had ever tasted of his life. Rev. C. Gordon Young – Hear, hear. No action was taken.
July 28th 1898. THE TEDIUM OF THE PRINCE OF WALES SICK ROOM is cheered by the electrophone, which sends a concert, an opera, or a church service along a wire to edify or amuse him. It is not necessary to shout in an instrument of this kind or worry over it as over a telephone. It simply gathers up every sound in the largest hall, church, or theater and sends it along. The Prince had the special pleasure of hearing a sermon preached on himself and his accident by Canon Fleming at Saint Michael’s Church, Chester Square.
July 28th 1898. MR. GOSCHEN THE FIRST LORD OF THE ADMIRALTY, has risen to the exigencies of the situation. He is given the proper answer to Russia and has fully redeemed his promises. As a patriotic and statesmanlike member of the cabinet he has adopted the true line of conduct and he has asked the nation to endorse his action in regard to strengthening the British Navy. The House of Commons has cordially responded to his request, and the whole country rejoices that there is a solid man in charge of the “Empire’s First Line of Defense.” His speech on Friday last dealt with three main topics, the original construction programme of 41 ships; the ordinary programme for the current year and a supplemental programme. The latter consists of four battle ships, four cruisers and 12 torpedo destroyers, the estimated cost of which will be £8,000,000.
November 17th 1898. Impartial Reporter. BALLYSHANNON. THE WORKHOUSE MASTERS DEATH. HAWKER CHARGED WITH MANSLAUGHTER. On Thursday at the coroner’s inquiry into the sudden death of Mr. Patrick Gavigan master of the Ballyshannon Workhouse, the circumstances of which have already been reported, two witnesses named Holland and J. Cleary deposed to seeing the deceased receiving two blows on Saturday from a man named Charles Flanagan, a hawker. Medical testament was to the effect that deceased suffered from diseased brain and that death resulted from extravasation of blood on the surface of the brain which might have been caused by a fall on the back or a blow on the side of the head. The jury found that deceased died from extravasation of blood on the surface of the brain and that death was accelerated by a blow or by blows received on Saturday night from one Charles Flanagan. Flanagan is in custody. The prisoner has been returned for trial to the Ulster Winter Assizes at Belfast.
November 10th 1898. ELECTION REJOICING IN KESH. A GENERAL ILLUMINATION. At 12.30 Wednesday the 2nd inst. a special wire conveyed the news that E. M. Archdale, Esq. D.L, was declared our member for North Fermanagh. Messengers were dispatched with the expected news to the supporters of Mr. Archdale who reside in remote corners of the district. Ere the shades of night fell hundreds were seen, old and young, to make their way to the village to join in the rejoicing over the victory of Mr. Archdale. As soon as darkness arrived in large bonfire was lighted on Dromard Hill and other hills to the north of Kesh. Gunshots and ringing cheers everywhere echoed the news through the air that a Fermanagh man was the representative of Fermanagh men in the British House of Parliament. Looking from an eminence above the old barracks, Kesh had the appearance of a portion of some great city animated with electric lights. Every house, Unionist and Nationalist, was lighted to such an extent that the aspect of the village was most striking and for the first time the street lamps were all aglow. At 7.30 tar barrels were brought into requisition by Mr. J. Aiken, junior and located in the Fairgreen, then a torchlight procession marched from the vicinity of the Orange Hall through and around the village and finally took its stand where the tar barrels were placed. After prolonged cheering for Mr. Archdale had ceased, Mr. W. J. May presided as chairman and gave a splendid address. Dr. A. Aiken addressed those present of all creeds and classes on the occasion of their coming together to pay all honour they could to one worthy of their highest congratulations, Mr. E. M. Archdale. (Cheers) Mr. Campbell, Mister J. Martin and others gave addresses. Loud cheers were given for Mr. Archdale before quitting the Fairgreen. Afterwards speaking and singing where continued in the Markethouse to a late hour.